Critical care is a dynamic area of medicine, with new apps being developed and released with increasing frequency. These apps range from simple medical calculators, to full blown critical care suites, including drug guidelines, procedures, and reference materal. CRITICAL is one such app.
I actually downloaded this app about a month ago, and wanted to test it on the floor before reviewing it. I have to say, that I've found it useful, both in patient management, as well as teaching residents and students. The information I have used so far has been accurate, and of high quality.
The interface is simple and intuitive. The 5 main sections are accessible from a menu bar at the bottom of the screen:
- Medical - including all manner of crit care algorithms, from airway to neonatal resuscitation.
- Pharmacology - including summaries of many ED critical care drugs
- EKGs - running through 2010 ACLS, as well as management of brady and tachy arrhythmias.
- RSI - going through the 7 P's of intubation with drugs, doses, and algorithms
- Pediatrics - with age matched normal physiological parameters, equipment sizes, drug doses etc
Who It's For
Healthcare professionals across the board in fields related to critical care, ranging from paramedics to emergency and intensive care trainees and physicians.
Ease of use
Wide range of topics
No landscape mode.
Not yet avaialble outside iOS (android etc)
No dedicated iPad app (yet)
Price - $9.99 (US)
If you are one of the increasing number of healthcare professionals using a smartphone at work, and you work in critical care / emergency, you will find this app a worthwhile acquisition.